Search site             Home line  About us   Contact us   Ask an expert     Forms   Corporate recovery      

Expert advice

Call us in Nova Scotia for a free, no obligation, confidential consultation – in person or over the phone
Toll free: 310-6060

Receive a callback from one of our bankruptcy and debt help experts


Nova Scotia bankruptcy Q&A forum



My father passed away in October. While he was terminally ill, in an attempt to ensure my mother was taken care of when he passed, he purchased a new car for her. Unfortunately, she cannot afford the payments on her pensions. We have been told, by the bank, that her only option would be to voluntarily surrender the vehicle. We understand that this will hurt her credit, and are prepared to live with that, but does she actually need to file for bankruptcy?



Grant Thornton Limited



Apr 06, 2018



Hi Tammy, thank you for your question. Should your mother voluntarily surrender her vehicle, they may be a shortfall she would be responsible to pay once the secured creditor has realized on their security by selling the vehicle. Depending on what the shortfall is, this might determine whether or not she needs to take further steps such as an insolvency filing. A bankruptcy is one option for your mother to relieve her debt, but a consumer proposal may be a great option for her as well. We would be happy to review her options in more detail and determine what might work best for her through a free confidential consultation. Consultations can be booked through our toll free number 310-6060. Kaitlin

Grant Thornton Limited
T 310-6060


For Nova Scotia Bankruptcy help, call TOLL FREE at 310-6060
We're here Monday - Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm to take your call.



All locations

© 2017 Grant Thornton Limited, Licensed Insolvency Trustees. • All rights reserved

Bankruptcy in Nova Scotia

Confidential callback from a bankruptcy professional

Please call me

As soon as possible
Today at
Next business day at

My Phone # 


Ask for